Saturday, March 5, 2011

BP2_LittleBirdTales

The tool I chose for my research is called LittleBirdTales (www.littlebirdtales.com).  I chose this site because I think it has a great deal of potential as a teaching tool.  By providing a format whereby children can create and tell their own stories to create online books, this site helps reinforce lessons in grammar, art, composition, analytical thinking, reading, and writing (not to mention the lessons it can teach about computer and web technology).

The best part of this tool is that children are able to record their stories in their own voice.  Not only does this provide opportunities for children to express themselves, it also provides a precious keepsake for parents and families.

My research began by watching the tutorial video that is featured on the site's home page.  I was immediately struck by how user-friendly and child-oriented the site is, and the entire process to produce the online books is so intuitive that even a young child is able to navigate it.

The first step in creating an online book is to create an account on the site.  An email account is also required.  After creating the account, the user clicks the option to Create a New Tale:

 
The site offers the options to upload original art and photography by the child, add text, and record the story in the child's own voice.  The child can add pages and rearrange pages as desired to create and finalize the book.

The online books can also be shared through an address book that can be created on the site.  If used as an educational tool, this feature could greatly facilitate the submission of projects by students to teachers and allow students to share their work.

Overall, I was very excited to discover this tool.  I am already planning to introduce my own children to it and encourage them to let their imaginations fly!

1 comment:

  1. This looks like a real interesting Web 2.0 service you have found. I'm usually pretty interested by anything having to do with art and creativity. I'm impressed by the flexibility of the site, allowing even audio to be uploaded. The address book feature is a nice sharing feature.

    ReplyDelete